top of page


Michael Foglietta's Blog

Original Logo Symbol1.png
  • Writer's pictureMichael Foglietta

It Never Ends

It was another fun weekend with adventures in sleeping. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea a couple of years ago. I went to see another ENT doctor to inquire about getting an implant instead of having to use the machine and the mask.

The doctor looked at my prior sleep study and questioned the diagnosis. Apparently I am borderline with Sleep Apnea. Who knows? I'm not the doctor. In order to get more answers about my particular case, he gave me this lovely device to wear while I was sleeping at home. There's some sensors in there and I had to wrap a strap around my chest that sent signals to this machine too.


Before I went to sleep, I had to lay flat on my back for 10 seconds, then I could get into my sleep position to go to sleep. I was informed that the best data would come from sleeping on my back. There's a problem there. I don't sleep on my back because if I sleep on my back, my head spins. That's just a product of my brain damage.

The first night, I slept on my back, or tried to. I was woken up 3 or 4 times during the night. Each time it felt like I stopped breathing. I was awoken by the act of breathing again, and it was a very deep breath and scared the crap out of me. It felt like in the movies when someone isn't breathing and then all of a sudden take a deep breath and wake up. It was a strange feeling.

I am not sure whether that was the reality or not because things get very weird for me at night. I don't dream at all. Sometimes it feels like I am unconscious when I sleep. Waking me up can be extremely difficult, or extremely easy. My son has an easy time waking me up just about every night. Some time ago, there was a house fire a few houses down from mine and the neighbors said they spent 45 minutes trying to wake me up. It's very strange.

Needless to say, the next 2 nights of the study, I slept my regular way, on my stomach. That works best for me. The device is supposed to wake me up if something goes wrong with the sensors or the nose tube and it's supposed to shut off after 7 hours automatically. Each day I woke up and the device was turned off. Did I sleep the whole 7 hours? I have no idea.


I don't think I'll get the results for a couple of weeks. The curiosity is going to kill me waiting for the results. The first sleep study I did, was at a clinic under controlled circumstances. There was no one watching me this time. I have no idea if I will be able to get the implant for Sleep Apnea, but I am more curious about what the device read about my sleep.

The experimentation never ends I guess. I'm getting older which means more tests. Not necessarily for my disability, but the normal aging issues. There will probably be some connections at some point to my disability. My disability can possibly enhance some of the normal aging issues. I'm definitely not looking forward to finding out what issues I will have to deal with.

I don't really have any control of what will happen in the future, but I will take everything as it comes like I always do.

29 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page